Revised: Not Applicable
The purpose of this policy is to insure that the GHSU signage program meets quality standard of aesthetic appeal, uniformity, and simplicity, while being highly functional in providing the information necessary.
1. Signage – any publicly displayed poster, placard, banner, desk plate, room number, name tag, building directory, bulletin board or similar object containing a printed message and/or symbol. Signage and signs are used synonymously in this policy.
2. Permanent Signs – signage that is expected to be posted or on public display for 90 days or more, or signage that is used on a regular basis but not continuously, e.g. temporary reserved parking signs, safety caution signs.
3. Interim Signs – signage that is expected to be posted or on public display for at least one week, but not over 90 days. Normally such signage will be replaced by a permanent sign and will meet the need for a sign while the permanent sign is on order.
4. Temporary Signs – signs, notices or banners which are on public display for a very short time, usually a week or less, and which normally have the purpose of announcing upcoming programs, activities or events. Such signage is usually posted on bulletin boards or other places designated for temporary signs.
This policy applies to all permanent and interim signage, regardless of purpose, used on Georgia Health Sciences University campus including those within any building located on the campus, and to other facilities under the authority of the University. Use of temporary signage and signage in private offices, service areas not normally frequented by the public, and similar locations, is governed by the administrator or unit assigned responsibility for the building where such signage is posted, unless otherwise specified in this policy.
3. Authorized Signage:
Signs described in the most recent GHSU Signage Manual are authorized for posting or public display on campus. This manual contains specifications for ordering signage for most purposes, and has samples of authorized signs. A copy of the manual can be obtained from Facilities Planning. Signs not authorized in the Signage Manual must receive special approval by Facilities Planning before they are ordered.
4. Unauthorized Signage:
Unauthorized signs are subject to removal under the auspices of Facilities Planning, at the expense of the person or office displaying the sign.
No signs may be attached to walls, windows, doors, stairways, exterior of buildings, lighting fixtures, trees, shrubs or utility poles on campus. Any person placing signs in unauthorized places will be held responsible.
5. Posting or Publicly Displaying Signs:
Permanent or interim signs must be posted or publicly displayed in accordance with the Signage Manual specifications. Requests for assistance should be made to the Physical Plant Division.
6. Messages on Signs:
The message and/or symbols on signs must meet the specifications of the Signage Manual. The person requesting the sign should designate the message, subject to review as specified in the procedures below. In cases of unresolvable disagreement regarding the message contents, a final decision rests with the Vice President for Business & Finance.
7. Funding for Signs:
It is the responsibility of the requesting department to fund the purchase and posting/displaying of signs ordered. The main exterior sign designating a major campus building and signs designating the GHSU campus shall normally be funded from general institutional funds.
8. Ordering Interim and Permanent Signs:
Signs may be ordered following the procedure below. Requests to purchase interim signs must be accompanied by a request to purchase the permanent signs which will replace them when received. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by Facilities Planning.
9. Existing Signs:
Permanent signs, not in compliance with this policy, already posted at the time this policy is adopted will be replaced as funds become available for this purpose, on a long term, systematic basis approved by the GHSU administration.
10. Building Directories:
All directories must be in accordance with Signage Manual requirements. Building directories shall be located in, or near, the main entryways and readily visible to visitors. Large buildings may have additional directories on each floor, in elevator lobbies and/or near stairways. Large departments may also have publicly displayed directories in main visitor areas. Content of these directories are the responsibility of the Building Coordinator and/or his designee.
11. Door Signs:
Signs posted adjacent to doors, to include the room number, must meet specifications in the Signage Manual. In addition to the room number and room functions, names of faculty or senior administrative staff may be displayed adjacent to the door using slots approved for this purpose. Posting of individual names except those specified above is prohibited, without approval of Facilities Planning.
12. Desk Plates:
Desk plates for receptionists and for other desks located in areas where public traffic is normally found must meet the specifications of the GHSU Signage Manual. Desk plates used by faculty and staff assigned private offices are not covered by this policy.
13. Name Tags:
All employee and student name tags are required to meet the specifications of the GHSU Signage Manual and must be ordered following the procedures in this policy.
14. Bulletin Boards:
Georgia Health Sciences University provides adequate bulletin board space in convenient locations. These bulletin boards are considered permanent signs to which temporary signs are posted. Each bulletin board will have affixed to the lower right-hand corner the name and campus address of the person responsible for the board. The temporary signs which may be attached are posters, notices, announcements and other similar materials.
Building Coordinators are responsible for enforcing the policy, regulating the location of bulletin boards and determining any restrictions on the content of posted material. Materials posted must be in good taste and shall not contain obscene references. Personal notices or announcements should be typed or neatly printed on 3″ x 5″ cards. Boards will be checked monthly by Building Coordinators for removal of outdated material and material not meeting the above requirements.
15. Assistance to Departments:
Departments desiring assistance in assessing their need for signage, the messages to go on a sign, or in interpreting the GHSU Signage Manual, should contact Facilities Planning or the Building Maintenance Section of the Physical Plant Division.
1. Prepare an Inter-Departmental Request Form MC 527 for acquisition of signs, listing all signs by function. Refer to Administrative Policies and Procedures Section 1.2.04.
2. Submit request to the Department Head for authorization of request.
3. Transmit request to Building Maintenance Section, Physical Plant Division, for review and processing for Procurement.
4. Review request for compliance with GHSU Signage Section/Physical Plant Div. Manual. Those requests for signs which are not in compliance with the Signage Manual will be routed by the Building Maintenance Section to Facilities Planning which will decide on advisability of the special request.
5. Prepare specifications, and drawings, if needed, to accompany Departmental Request. Prepare a Public Works Contract when required.
6. Forward Departmental Request with specifications to Procurement.
7. Process Departmental Requests received from the Building Maintenance Section. Do not process requests that have not been reviewed by the Building Maintenance Section or Facilities Planning.
8. Review requests for signs which are not in compliance with signage manual and, if approved, forward the requests on to the Building Maintenance Section with any pertinent comments for ordering.
9. If the requests are not approved, information will be forwarded to the original requestor with reasons for denial.