Volume 4 Enrollment Management
Chapter 1 HOPE Scholarship Awarding & Disbursement Policy
Responsible Office: Student Financial Aid
Originally issued: 11/18/08
This policy outlines the awarding and disbursement rules associated with the State of Georgia’s HOPE Scholarship funds. The Admissions, Registrar, Student Aid, and Cashier’s Offices will adhere to this policy when determining eligibility, awarding, and disbursement of HOPE Scholarship funds.
Reason For Policy
The eligibility, awarding, and disbursement policies associated with the State of Georgia’s HOPE Scholarship program are designed to minimize liability of repayment for the student as well as Georgia Health Sciences University. Assurances of eligibility prior to the awarding and disbursement of HOPE Scholarship decreases the likelihood of repayment as a result in changes to eligibility.
Entities Affected By This Policy
All students who are HOPE-eligible will be affected by this policy. In addition, academic units, enrollment services departments, and the Cashier’s Office will be affected.
Who Should Read This Policy
Personnel responsible for the determination and maintenance associated with HOPE Scholarship eligibility should be familiar with this policy. Academic units should understand the impact of timely reporting of grades. All HOPE-eligible students should be aware of this policy and the impact to their eligibility, awarding, and disbursement of funds.
|Student Financial Aid Officeemail@example.com|
HOPE Scholarship Program guidelines: http://www.gsfc.org/main/publishing/pdf/2006/2006_hope_regs.pdf
These definitions apply to these terms as they are used in this policy:
|Provisionally enrolled student||Students who are allowed to begin their program of study but have transcripts from prior institutions outstanding.|
|Transient Students||Students who are enrolled and registered at Georgia Health Sciences University and also register for additional classes at another institution with the intention of transferring credit hours to the Medical College to be applied toward their degree requirements.|
|Missing grades||Student records that indicate the registration of classes to which no grade is assigned at the end of a term.|
Eligibility requirements for HOPE Scholarship funds contain many elements that impact eligibility from one semester to another. Constant monitoring and review are necessary in order to assure eligibility of funds prior to awarding the disbursement. The policies outlined in this document are intended to reduce the liability of repayment for both students and the institution.
- Students enrolled provisionally will not be eligible for HOPE funding until all documents are received, reviewed, and recorded in the student information system.
- Transient students will be paid HOPE funds for the classes registered and taken at Georgia Health Sciences University. Payment of HOPE funds for additional classes at other institutions must be requested by that institution. Since ALL attempted hours are considered when determining HOPE eligibility, payment of HOPE for subsequent semesters will be delayed until all transcripts are received by Georgia Health Sciences University.
- Students with missing grades for an academic term will have subsequent semesters of HOPE funding suspended until all grades are posted and new calculations of GPA are completed.
- Georgia Health Sciences University will pursue delayed HOPE Scholarship payments within the same award year if all documents are received, reviewed, and recorded in the student information system.
- Cases of extreme extenuating circumstances that prevent the student from submitting documentation to determine the eligibility of HOPE will require the approval and signature of the Provost.
The responsibilities each party has in connection with Academic, Research, and Student Affairs Policy 4.01, HOPE Scholarship Awarding & Disbursement Policy, are:
|Student Financial Aid Office||Monitoring the changes impacting eligibility for HOPE Scholarship. Awarding HOPE Scholarships.|
|Admissions Office||Reviewing all incoming documentation to determine eligibility for HOPE Scholarship and posting to student information system. Control of holds associated with missing documentation impacting eligibility.|
|Registrar||Monitoring missing grades.|