Volume 5 Continuing Education
Chapter 11 Internet Continuing Education Policy
Responsible Office: Continuing Education
Originally issued: 2001
Revised: August 2007
Continuing Education hosted on Internet sites must meet the same planning, disclosure, evaluation, and commercial support policies as live activities as well as the additional requirements for enduring materials. The Division of Continuing Education will notify all participants of computer requirements necessary to access the site of the activity prior to registration in each Internet-based activity. Communication of required Continuing Education statements and information, such as accreditation statements and faculty disclosure information, must be ensured through (a) the viewing of a mandatory screen containing that information or (b) clear direction to the learner to access such a screen.
Reason for Policy
The Division of Continuing Education is responsible for ensuring that educational activities sponsored by the Division of Continuing Education and the Schools are in compliance with the associated professional discipline and accrediting agencies.
Entities Affected By This Policy
All continuing education course directors, course planning committees, course faculty, commercial supporters (sponsors, grantors, and exhibitors), course participants, and university administrators are covered by these policies.
Who Should Read This Policy
This policy should be read by continuing education course directors, course planning committees, course faculty, commercial supporters, and university administrators.
|Director, Continuing Education||706-721-3967||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/ce/|
|Senior Conference Coordinator||706-721-3967||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/ce/med.html|
|Assistant Conference Coordinator for Medicine||706-721-3967||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/ce/med.html|
|Dental Conference Coordinator||706-721-3967||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/ce/dental.html|
|Assistant Conference Coordinator for Dentistry||706-721-3967||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/ce/dental.html|
|Nursing/Allied Health Conference Coordinator||706-721-3967||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/ce/|
These definitions apply to these terms as they are used in this policy.
|Internet Continuing Education||The delivery of Continuing Education in a Web-based format that can be completed either in real time or asynchronously|
In order to award Continuing Education credit for synchronous or asynchronous learning, a number of requirements regarding computer technology needs and information that is mandatory for the participant to view and acknowledge must be addressed, as outlined in this policy. These additional requirements ensure that the participant has engaged with the learning experience.
Prior to registration, participants will be notified of computer needs and software for successful navigation of all Internet Continuing Education offerings.
- Information for free downloads will be given to participants upon registration.
- Equipment essentials will be specified for all Internet-based Continuing Education activities.
- A mechanism must be available for the learner to contact appropriate support assistance (content and/or technical) if questions arise about the Internet activity.
- Participants’ private demographic data will be protected. Personal information will be collected on a secure server.
- No participant demographic or personal information will be released outside Georgia Health Sciences University without written permission of the participant.
- If a fee is charged and registrants pay on-line, credit card information is transmitted through a secure server.
- No Internet Continuing Education activities shall be posted on a pharmaceutical or device manufacturer’s product Web site.
- Links from Continuing Education activity Web sites to pharmaceutical and device manufacturers’ product Web sites are permitted before or after the educational content of a Continuing Education activity, but shall not be embedded in the educational content of a Continuing Education activity.
- Advertising of any type is prohibited within the educational content of Continuing Education activities on the Internet, including, but not limited to, banner ads, subliminal ads, and pop-up window advertisements.
- The learner shall be notified by pop-up window or other similar mechanism when they are leaving the educational Web site.
- Copyrights and/or permissions must be obtained for all Internet Continuing Education content. Copyright and permission documentation must be retained in the activity file. Links to other Web sites may be provided. Those sites may have privacy policies that are different from those of Georgia Health Sciences University. Georgia Health Sciences University is not responsible for the content or privacy policies of those sites.
- Information may be collected and used after registration to contact the participant with e-mail updates when new material is posted to the site. The Division of Continuing Education will only contact participants who indicated that they want to be notified. If an individual wants to change his/her status regarding this notification at a later time, he/she can contact the Division of Continuing Education to make the change.
The responsibilities each party has in connection with Academic, Research, and Student Affairs Policy 5.11, Internet Continuing Education Policy, are:
|Director of Continuing Education||Provides oversight and ensures compliance with accreditation agencies regarding guidelines for the production of Internet-based activities for Continuing Education credit.|
|Senior Conference Coordinator||Manages planning process to include measures to ensure compliance with accrediting bodies for Internet-based activities offered for Continuing Education credit.|
|Assistant Conference Coordinator for Medicine||Compiles documentation necessary to comply with accreditation requirements for Continuing Education Internet-based activities.|
|Dental Conference Coordinator||Manages planning process to include measures to ensure compliance with accrediting bodies for Internet-based activities offered for Continuing Education credit.|
|Assistant Conference Coordinator for Dentistry||Compiles documentation necessary to comply with accreditation requirements for Internet-based activities.|
|Nursing Conference Coordinator||Manages planning process to include measures to ensure compliance with accrediting bodies for Internet-based activities offered for Continuing Education credit.|
|Assistant Conference Coordinator||Compiles documentation necessary to comply with accreditation requirements for Internet-based Continuing Education activities.|