Volume 9 Research
Chapter 0104 Policy for Shipping Animals Between Georgia Health Sciences University and Another Institution
Responsible Office: Laboratory Animal Services
Originally issued: 8/18/2004
When shipping animals between Georgia Health Sciences University and another institution, certain procedures established by the Division of Laboratory Animal Services (LAS) must be followed. A special animal transport box must be used. The transport box should be filled with bedding, and food and water sources. Animals should be shipped by air express. Other details of the procedures are outlined in this policy.
Reason For Policy
The Animal Welfare Act (see Related Documents) has specific criteria for transport of laboratory animals to ensure their well-being. Failure to follow these federal guidelines can result in serious consequences (e.g., fines or loss of research privileges) for all institutions involved. Therefore, the Division of Laboratory Animal Services has established this policy, which contains the procedures to be used when shipping animals between Georgia Health Sciences University and other institutions.
Entities Affected By This Policy
Anyone working with laboratory animals who is planning on transporting animals is affected by this policy.
Who Should Read This Policy
Faculty, staff, students, post-doctoral fellows, research assistants and associates, and any other personnel involved with using animals in research should know and observe this policy.
|Director, Laboratory Animal Services||706-721-3421||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/research/animal/|
Animal Welfare Act: http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/legislat/usdaleg1.htm
These definitions apply to these terms as they are used in this policy:
|Institution||Any college, university, or research center that works with laboratory animals that will be accepting the shipped animals|
The Animal Welfare Act has specific criteria for transport of laboratory animals to ensure their well-being. The method must be humane and safe. Procedures for shipping animals from Georgia Health Sciences University to another institution are outlined below. To further ensure compliance, LAS will assist the investigator in the preparation of transport of animals for a fee and will deliver all the equipment needed to the room where the animals intended for shipment are housed.
When shipping laboratory animals between Georgia Health Science University and another institution, the follow procedures should be followed:
- A specially designed animal transport box must be used. These are available for a fee from LAS (see Transport Box Request Form in Appendix I).
- Dividers should be included if the shipped animals must be separated. These are also available from LAS.
- The transport box should be filled with bedding, preferably with the same bedding the animals are currently using.
- A water source must be included, for example, potatoes or Napa nectar, which can be obtained through LAS.
- Animals must be shipped air express. Possible reputable shippers include Marken, Burlington Air Express, or Emery Worldwide. Current contact information is available from LAS.
- Note that receiving institutions might have certain requirements, e.g., a recent health report. It is up to the shipping investigator to know what these requirements are and to follow the procedures of the receiving institution.
The responsibilities each party has in connection with Academic, Research, and Student Affairs Policy 9.0104, Policy for Shipping of Animals Between Georgia Health Sciences University and Another Institution, are:
|Faculty, student, or staff||Prepare animal(s) for shipping as described above, using correct transport box equipped with bedding, and food and water sources.|
|LAS staff member||Provide boxes, bedding, food, and water (for a fee), and otherwise assist investigator when shipping animals to another institution.|
Transport Box Request Form: see Appendix I