Volume 9 Research
Chapter 0108 Policy for Listing & Adding Personnel to an Animal Protocol
Responsible Office: Laboratory Animal Services
Originally issued: 1/15/2003
Revised: 7/27/07; 11/05/07
Every investigator or individual who is working with animals on a research project must be listed as project personnel on that protocol. Any new investigator joining an existing project must be formally approved and added to the existing protocol.
Reason For Policy
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is mandated by federal regulations, including the Animal Welfare Act and Public Health Service (PHS) Policy. It is the responsibility of the IACUC to review and approve all experiments and personnel working with animals. In order to responsibly carry out that function, the committee and Division of Laboratory Animal Services must know all personnel working with animals on a research project.
Entities Affected By This Policy
All laboratories at Georgia Health Sciences University that perform research using animals and their personnel are affected by this policy.
Who Should Read This Policy
All faculty, staff, students, post-doctoral fellows, research assistants and associates, and any other personnel at Georgia Health Sciences University involved with using animals in research should know and observe this policy.
|Director, Laboratory Animal Services||706-721-3421||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/research/animal/|
|Associate Director, Laboratory Animal Services||706-721-8575||http://www.georgiahealth.edu/research/animal/|
Animal Welfare Act: http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/legislat/usdaleg1.htm
No investigator or person is authorized to carry out research or otherwise work with animals at Georgia Health Sciences University until all items listed below have been completed.
- He/she must complete the Occupational Health Enrollment Form and submit it to the Laboratory Animal Services Compliance Coordinator, CB 1911 or via fax 706-721-6277.
- On-line training (http://www.georgiahealth.edu/research/iacuc/training.html) must be completed. The course is accessed with the user name “mcg” and the password “bird.” All personnel must complete the first module entitled “Occupational Health and Safety,” the module entitled “Laboratory Animals,” and species-specific modules, i.e., if the investigator is working with mice and rats, he/she must also take the module entitled “Laboratory Rats and Laboratory Mice.”
- If additional researchers need to be added to a previously approved animal protocol, the PI must submit an amendment form to the LAS administrator to request permission to add personnel to the protocol. The IACUC will review the amendment and notify the PI when it is approved. All additional personnel must complete the requirements described above (Occupational Health Enrollment Form and on-line training).
- If Barrier Training is required, the investigator must contact the Assistant Director of LAS at 721-2685 for an appointment.
- Access to LAS animal rooms is via the Georgia Health Sciences University campus-wide SMART card. The PI should notify the Compliance Coordinator (706-721-0198) of the building code and room number for which access is needed. The Assistant Director will notify the appropriate building coordinator to have the researchers’ SMART cards activated for access to the required animal room.
The responsibilities each party has in connection with Academic, Research, and Student Affairs Policy 9.0108, Policy for Listing & Adding Personnel to an Animal Protocol, are:
|Principal Investigator||Must complete Occupational Health Enrollment Form and submit to LAS Compliance Coordinator.Must submit amendment requesting permission to add personnel to protocol.|
|All personnel working with animals||Must complete Occupational Health Enrollment Form and on-line training.|
|IACUC||Review and approve or disapprove amendment and notify Investigator of decision.|
Occupational Health Enrollment Form: http://www.georgiahealth.edu/research/iacuc/OHP.html