Responsible Office: Office of Classroom Services (OCRS)
Originally Issued: October 2003
Revised: Not Applicable
1.0 PurposeTo implement procedures for the operation and administration of the Office of Classroom Services (OCRS) support responsibilities to Georgia Health Sciences University.
2.0 Classroom Utilization and Scheduling
To implement procedures optimizing the usage of available classroom space and providing adequate support for any college, department or program that does not have sufficient classroom space to accommodate their academic endeavors.
All classrooms shall be assigned by the Provost to a college or Classroom Services for purposes for scheduling and utilization of the facility.
This policy applies to all Colleges, Departments, Divisions and Programs of Georgia Health Sciences University, and to any other authorized user of classroom space at the University. This policy does not apply to facilities regularly used for patient care or primarily for research or administrative purposes.
2.4 General Policy Governing use of Classrooms
- In accordance with Georgia Health Sciences University’s policy governing use of facilities (2.2.01) the use of classrooms for scheduled instructional purposes shall take precedence over all other uses of such space.
- The classrooms listed at http://www.georgiahealth.edu/services/ocrs/facilities.htm are designated for general use by colleges and programs in accordance with Georgia Health Sciences University’s policy (2.2.02). Use of these classrooms by a college or program other than the one assigned shall be in accordance with the procedures specified in section 1.2.4 of this document.
- Academic instructional space, to include classrooms, seminar rooms, and instructional laboratories, not designated in paragraph 1.2.2b may be used by colleges and programs upon request through the specific unit responsible for that space.
2.5 Temporary Overload Classroom Space
- In the event existing classroom space is not adequate to meet the needs of the requester, additional facilities are authorized for use as temporary classrooms. Such space will only be used as temporary back-up classrooms. The temporary classroom facilities are listed at http://www.georgiahealth.edu/services/ocrs/facilities.htm
- Use of previously listed areas as classrooms should be done at times that do not interfere with their primary functions. As soon as the overload is diminished, all such space shall revert to its intended function.
- The Office of Classroom Services shall be responsible for setting up the temporary classrooms so they are suitable for instructional purposes. OCRS shall also be responsible for restoring these temporary classrooms to their original condition as soon as possible.
- Other space not specified in paragraph 2.4 a, but suitable for temporary classroom usage may be authorized for use as a temporary classroom by authorization of the Office of the Provost, Georgia Health Sciences University, provided the use of such space does not interfere with functions necessary for the effective operation of the institution.
2.6 Scheduling General Use Classrooms.
- Scheduling of all designated general use classrooms, except as otherwise stated in this policy, is the responsibility of the Registrar’s Office and the Office of Classroom Services for scheduling classes, seminars, programs and similar instructional purposes.
- Colleges or programs in need of general use classrooms to accommodate their curriculum or needs, if they have exceeded their assigned classroom space and require additional classrooms, shall contact/notify OCRS, through http://www.georgiahealth.edu/services/ocrs/index.htm. The requesting college/department must select an individual as the point of contact responsible for the scheduling of the rooms through OCRS.
- All classroom requests must have a valid course name and number if applicable. Request for general use classroom space should be made 90 days prior to the start of the semester. Priority on classroom space assignments shall be determined by OCRS based on the needs of curriculum and special program requirements for the institution. Requests submitted less than 90 days prior to the semester will be considered based on space availability.
- If there is insufficient general use classroom space to accommodate all requests, OCRS will advise the college/department of available options and also attempt to locate additional classrooms from the temporary overload space. OCRS shall request use of the space from the assigned college or program on behalf of the requester in need of this space.
- The utilization of general use classrooms or other classrooms shall abide by the classroom use rules regulating food and beverages and similar activities established by Georgia Health Sciences University or the assigned college or program.
- t is the responsibility of the classroom user to ensure their instruction or program is completed as scheduled, on time and the room vacant prior to the following scheduled program.
3.0 Distance Education (Synchronous)
To implement procedures to optimize the usage and support of Distance Education facilities.
The Office of Classroom Services is responsible for the administration of synchronous Distance Education, providing guidance, implementation, scheduling, and technical support.
This policy applies to all Colleges, Departments, Divisions and Programs of Georgia Health Sciences University, and to any authorized user of synchronous Distance Education Systems and facilities.
3.4 General Policy Governing use of Distance Education Facilities
- Scheduling distance education requirements delivered via Distance Education facilities is coordinated through OCRS.
- All Distance Education requests must have a valid course name and number if applicable. Request for scheduling distance education courses via Distance Education Facilities should be submitted to OCRS at least 90 days prior to the start of each semester. Ninety days advance notice is necessary for adequate scheduling of distance learning sites at all campuses. Priority on classroom space assignments shall be determined by OCRS based on the needs of the institution. Request submitted less than 90 days prior to the semester will be considered based on space availability.
- Courses for academic credit do have priority over all other courses/programs and meetings delivered via Distance Education Facilities.
- Outside organizations must coordinate directly with the OCRS prior to any scheduling of Distance Education rooms. Please contact the Chief, Office of Classroom Services, (706) 721-3061/3062 or email: GSAMS@georgiahealth.edu.
- Scheduling of continuing education programs delivered via Distance Education facilities are coordinated through the Division of Continuing Education at 706-721-3967. Continuing Education will coordinate with OCRS at 706-721-3061.
- Each College or Department utilizing Distance Education facilities needs to identify an individual to serve as a representative for distance education. The contact person should be responsible for providing pertinent information and submitting requirements to OCRS through http://www.gerogiahealth.edu/services/ocrs/index.htm.
- Department designated representatives must notify OCRS of changes, additions, and cancellations of the distance education programs. All changes must be made by 12:00PM on the Thursday prior to the week the classes are scheduled. OCRS must be notified of all cancellations at least 24 hours in advance of class. Failure to notify OCRS of cancellations will result in a No-show/No-notice cancellation charge of $60.00 to the college or department.
- It is the responsibility of the instructors/presenters to provide the OCRS with their audiovisual needs a minimum of 24 hours prior to their lecture/class. This information must be submitted using the Audio Visual Request Form at http://www.georgiahealth.edu/services/ocrs/index.htm.
- The Office of Classroom Services provides technicians to support all distance education classrooms. If facilitators are required, test proctoring, student accountability, or similar activities, it is the responsibility of the requesting unit to provide this support.
- Specific classrooms are designated for distance education activities and videoconferencing. The distance education facilities are listed at http://www.georgiahealth.edu/services/ocrs/facilities.htm.
- For the use of distance education room CJ1201, there is a minimum fee of $60.00 plus any additional telephone line charges if long distance dialing is required.
- After all distance education curriculum and programs have been scheduled for the semester, the distance education rooms may be scheduled for traditional instruction.
- Distance education programs starting prior to 8:00AM or extending past 5:00PM, or holidays and weekends are subject to before and after hour charges for overtime. The necessity of overtime charges will be determined by OCRS prior to the event and agreed upon by the requesting College/Department.
4.0 Audio Visual Equipment Utilization and Scheduling
To implement procedures to provide adequate instructional delivery equipment/systems and technical support for academic programs and administration.
The Office of Classroom Services is responsible for the administration of audiovisual instructional delivery systems, providing guidance, implementation, scheduling, and onsite technical support.
This policy applies to all Colleges, Departments, Divisions, and Programs of Georgia Health Sciences University, and to any other users of the audiovisual instructional delivery equipment/systems.
4.4 General policies governing the scheduling and use of instructional delivery audiovisual equipment/systems.
- The request and scheduling of audiovisual equipment/systems provided by the Office of Classroom Services for use in instructional and other administrative purposes must be accessed through the Audio Visual Request Form at: http://www.georgiahealth.edu/services/ocrs/index.htm
- All requests for audiovisual and instructional delivery equipment/systems must be coordinated a minimum of 24 hours prior to the start of the class or activity. Request provided less than 24 hours notice will be honored based on equipment and manpower availability.
- Off campus and on campus before 7:45AM and after 4:30PM requirements must be coordinated with OCRS at least 72 hours in advance of the scheduled program start time.
- Audiovisual request for requirements prior to 7:45AM or after 4:30PM will incur charges for the setup or recovery of audiovisual instructional delivery equipment/systems.
- OCRS will be notified by the requesting Department of any changes to equipment/systems requirements or cancellations 24 hours prior to the scheduled requirement.
- Request for audiovisual equipment/systems to be used in the Alumni Center must be sent to OCRS with a copy of the Alumni Center Facilities Use Form and a copy of the room setup diagram.
- No audiovisual equipment may be removed from classrooms for use in other areas except by OCRS personnel.
- Audiovisual equipment is available for official GHSU off campus use only and must be signed out at the Office of Classroom Services. This service will be based on the type and availability of equipment. All requests require approval of the Chief of Classroom Services.
- Colleges, departments, programs requiring off campus audiovisual support from OCRS will be charged a setup and recovery fee of $30.00 per hour. All requests require approval of the Chief of Classroom Services.
- Colleges, departments, or programs requesting technicians to serve as projectionist will be charged a fee for the service at an hourly rate. Rates are variable based on the time of day and location of on or off campus.
Societies, associations, and outside organizations requesting support requirements from OCRS will be charged for the rental of equipment and technical support for setup and recovery. This will be negotiated through the Chief, Office of Classroom Services.