Responsible Office: Office of the Provost
Originally Issued: February 2004
Revised: December 2005
To establish policy and procedures for faculty employed by GHSU to receive extra compensation for extra duty services within or outside of their home department or division according to BOR policy 803.1404.
Extra duty for faculty is defined as additional faculty responsibilities assigned for a temporary period of time, not to exceed one year. The assignment of extra duties may be within the home department and should be at the request of the Departmental Chair based upon departmental needs. When extra duty is performed outside of the home department or home college, the request should be initiated by the unit head of the extra duty department receiving the services.
Extra duty compensation for faculty is defined as additional compensation for extra duty service performed by a faculty member if all four of the following conditions are met:
- The work is carried out in addition to a normal full load;
- No other qualified person is available to carry out the work as part of his/her normal load;
- The work produces sufficient income to be self-supporting (when educational activity’s income exceeds itemized expenses, the excess funds may be distributed to program faculty as “Extra Compensation”); and
- The additional duties are not so heavy as to interfere with the performance of regular duties.
The extra compensation shall be paid in line with compensation paid for performance of the faculty member’s normal duties. The extra compensation may be paid at the discretion of the Chair in one lump sum following the extra duty service, or paid in monthly increments during the extra duty service. The pay increase will be paid out of the extra duty departmental budget, unless other arrangements have been made and approved by the college’s business office prior to the Faculty Action and Approval Process.
Nothing in this policy shall in any way conflict with or override any policy of any applicable faculty practice plan of any college within GHSU.
3.1 Extra duty assignments must be in accordance with the policy “Extra Duty Compensation for Faculty Employed by Georgia Health Sciences University.”
3.2 Extra duty compensation will be initiated by the academic/administrative unit that will receive the extra duty service of the faculty member.
3.3 Requests for extra duty compensation for faculty members must be routed according to the Faculty Action and Approval Process (FAAP) [i.e., Chair, Dean (Business Office), Provost, and Human Resources].
3.4 When the extra duty is not within the faculty member’s home department or home college, both departmental chairs and college deans must sign in concurrence of the extra duty service.
3.5 Institutional Process:
3.5.1 Submit a memorandum through the Dean’s Office to the Office of the Provost describing the need for and time period of the extra duty and listing the faculty member and the amount of compensation to be received. If the request is for multiple faculty for a specific project or temporary need, one request can be completed for all faculty at the beginning of the period of the work. The Provost will send approval to the department with a copy to Human Resources and Payroll. Individual payments are to be processed using the Personnel Action Request (PAR). When preparing the PAR for payment, the following instructions apply:
- Select “Exempt Extra Pay” (Page 1)
- Enter “Faculty” in the “Change Type” Field (Page 1)
- “Salary Distribution Details” (Page 1)
- Enter the Account Stream: funding source used to compensate the faculty member for the extra duty service.
- Enter the amount of compensation:
- One time payment: compensation paid in one lump sum following the extra duty service; or
- Additional pay: amount of compensation to be paid each month during the extra duty service.
- Enter the Start and End date of the Extra Duty Service:
- Start Date (mm/dd/yyyy): first day of the month that the extra duty service begins.
- End Date (mm/dd/yyyy): enter the last day of the month that the extra duty service ends.
- “Extra Duty Compensation for Faculty Employed by GHSU” (Page 3)
- “Brief Recommendation/Justification Details” (Page 3)
- Faculty member’s review and concurring signature of extra duties and compensation to be paid as detailed within the PAR (Page 3).
- Obtain appropriate approval signatures.
3.5.2. The PAR may be submitted directly to Human Resources according the published payroll deadlines and will be processed with the next available monthly payroll.