Responsible Office: Office of the Provost
Originally Issued: January 2003
Revised: Not Applicable
1.0 PurposeTo establish faculty recruitment processes when filling vacant positions, new positions and reorganizations.
2.0 Policy/GuidelinesRecruitment procedures will be conducted in accordance with the GHSU Faculty Recruitment Process, Faculty Appointment Development Promotion and Tenure (FADPT) – Recruitment, and the GHSU President’s AA/EEO Statement. The Provost will provide guidance in determining the appropriate recruitment process based upon the circumstances associated with the position to be filled. The AA/EEO Office will provide assistance to the hiring unit in expanding applicant pools as they relate to underrepresented minorities.
3.0 Full SearchRecruitment to fill academic and/or administrative faculty positions that are not included as an exception or as part of another recruitment type, must follow the procedures of the Faculty Recruitment Process, which include:
- Advertising externally across an appropriate regional (and/or national) scope.
- Advertising the position in the USG ACH
- Advertising the position on the GHSU Website for Faculty Vacancies; and
- Forming a search committee with a designated Chairman, with active participation during the recruitment process until a qualified applicant has been hired.
4.0 Local/Regional Search Recruitment Package CandidatesFaculty positions may be filled by individuals who are included as part of the hiring package of a more senior, highly qualified individual when identified as the most qualified applicant. These individuals will be included with an applicant pool derived from the Applicant Clearinghouse and the GHSU Faculty Vacancies Website.
- Prior to making a commitment to qualified candidates who may be hired as part of a “recruitment package,” an e-mail to waive outside advertising must be sent to the Provost for approval (copy to Office of Faculty Affairs), and must include the recruitment package candidates’ names and proposed faculty titles/ranks.
- Once the Provost conveys his approval decision via email, the Faculty Recruitment Process may be initiated, i.e., completion and submission of the Faculty Employment Request (attach a printed copy of the Provost approval) and advertisement in the Applicant Clearinghouse.
- Determine the appropriate effective date of the appointment based upon the action schedule. If in doubt, call the Office of Faculty Affairs for assistance.
5.0 Internal (Campus) SearchPotential internal candidates are defined as faculty currently serving in a full-time academic or administrative/faculty title position who were recruited following an external search process.
- Administrative Faculty Positions* may be filled by qualified internal candidates when certain conditions have been met.
- *Administrative Titles – faculty titles at the institutional level;
- *Faculty Titles – faculty titles at the departmental level.
- Prior to making a commitment to a potentially qualified candidate, an e-mail must be sent to the Provost with a copy to the Office of Faculty Affairs, requesting approval to initiate an internal (campus) search.
- Once the Provost conveys his approval decision, the Faculty Recruitment Process may be initiated i.e., completion and submission of the Faculty Employment Request and the Applicant Clearinghouse advertisement with a copy of the intra-departmental letter seeking internal departmental applicants.
- The intra-departmental communication must be sent to each faculty member within the department advising of the intent to fill an administrative faculty position with a qualified internal candidate and stating that those interested should submit an application by the predetermined application deadline date. Internal candidates will be included with the applicant pool derived from the Applicant Clearinghouse and the GHSU Faculty Vacancies
- Once the Office of Faculty Affairs sends out the approval notification to begin recruitment, the letter may be sent out to the departmental faculty.
- Input from specific positions or administrative units reporting to the position in question will be sought and considered in the process.
6.0 No SearchFull-time faculty positions may be filled by qualified internal and /or external candidates without a search when certain conditions have been met:
Assistant Research Scientist – Conditions:
- Position is non-tenure track.
- Applicant pool is derived from internal non-faculty research positions.
Instructor – Conditions:
- Position is 1-year temporary appointment.
- The individual is ineligible to accrue service time for promotion and/or tenure.
- Applicant pool is derived from internal non-faculty resident positions.
Full-time (1.00) Veterans Administration – Conditions:
- Applicant pool is derived from internal clinical/adjunct faculty (No Pay)
Administrative Promotions – Conditions:
- Reassignments or transfer to a related position and similar level of responsibility within the same organizational unit or across organizational units.
Temporary Faculty Positions – Conditions:
- Six-month term of appointment (prior approval required).
- 2nd six-month term of appointment allowed, contingent upon proof of recruitment for a full-time regular faculty position.
- Individual is ineligible to accrue service time toward promotion and/or tenure.
- Applicant pool is derived from internal or external candidates.
Changes Between Full-time / Part-time Positions – Conditions:
- Full-time faculty positions recruited following an external search process, that change to part-time status may return to full-time service without a search.
Part-time Positions Combined to Make 1.00 EFT (Full-time) Position – Conditions:
- Faculty serving in part-time positions may fill another part-time position of the same discipline that when combined, make 1.00 EFT.